The Top Physician Assistant Programs
There are currently 159 different accredited programs, those given accreditation by the Accreditation and Review Commission on Education for the Physician assistant (ARC-PA). All these programs offer excellent training that will enable the graduate to be eligible to start working as a physician assistant. Although the programs are great, there are top physician assistant programs that have been ranked. These top physician assistant programs are introduced to you below as well as a description of exactly what one must fulfill as far as acceptance requirements go. By completing one of these top PA programs, one will be able to do about 75 percent of the duties that the main physician does, without have to attain a Doctorate or PHD degree, only a Masters which the programs award at the conclusion, and will start earning a salary which is at a currently median of $89,878.
The 5 Top Physician Assistant Programs
These 5 top physician assistant programs were ranked by the US NEWS who did a complete overview on all the accredited programs and came up with the following 5 as their top PA program picks.
Duke University Physician Assistant Program – Ranked 1st on the Top Physician Assistant Programs list, which demands requirements that include:
- Bachelors Degree completed witha 3.0 or better.
- A minimum of 5 Biological Sciences, with required classes that include; Microbiology, Anatomy, and Physiology as well as 2 Chemistry and Lab courses and one Statistics course. Recommendation for fulfilling their PA prerequisite courses are; Cell Biology, Genetics, Histology, Embryology, Immunology and Molecular Biology, which must be completed with a grade no lower than a C.
- Official Graduation Record Exam scores.
- At least 1000 hours of direct hands on patient care experience which can include; voluntary Peace Corps work, EMT, paramedic, RN, health educator, CNA, clinical research assistant, technologist and therapist among others.
- Passing their technical standards which include; Communication, Observation, Motor Skills, Behavior & Social Attributes, as well as Intellectual – Conceptual, Integrative, and Quantitative Abilities.
University of Iowa Physician Assistant Program – Ranked number two out of the top physician assistant programs in the US with the demanded requirements including:
- Bachelors Degree from a US accredited college or university completed with a 3.0.
- Completion of the MCAT as well as the Graduation Record Examination within the past 10 years.
- A minimal amount of 1000 hours of hands on training.
- Certain “technical standards” designated by the University of Iowa.
- Introductory along with advanced prerequisite courses that include; Chemistry courses that include multiple introductory courses along with upper level Organic Chemistry courses followed by an introduction to Biochemistry class, an Animal Biology or Zoology introductory courses as well as upper level courses that include a minimum of 3 courses in the same subjects but one of them need to be in human or exercise or animal physiology, Principles of Chemistry 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry, General Biochemistry and either General Statistics or Biostatistics.
University of Utah Physician Assistant Program – This top PA program ranked number 3 and requires aspiring PA students to have the following prerequisites:
- A BS or BA degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Prerequisite courses that were completed in the last 10 years that include; Chemistry, Biology, Human Anatomy and Human Physiology, with recommended courses in Statistics, Microbiology, Genetics and Writing.
- A minimum of 2000 hours of healthcare experience.
- Completing both a CASPA as well as a Supplemental Application.
- Drug test.
- Immunizations and background tests.
- Meeting their “Technical Performance Standards” as well as having certain computer skills.
Emory University Physician Assistant Program – Ranked number 4 out of the top physician assistant programs in the Emory University Physician Assistant Program which acceptance requirements include the following:
- Application for acceptance through CASPA.
- Completion of the GRE test within the last 5 years.
- “Written Narrative Statements”.
- Letters of recommendation.
- A minimum of 2000 hours of clinical hands on experience.
- A Bachelors degree completed with 3.0 GPA or higher from an accredited school.
- Must meet certain technical standards designated by them.
- Prerequisite courses that include; Biology including a Lab, General Chemistry including a Lab, either Organic Chemistry of Biochemistry along with a Lab, and it is recommended that students take Microbiology and Statistics as well as Human Anatomy and Human Physiology.
George Washington University Physician Assistant Program – Number 5 on US NEWS Top Physician Assistant Programs is the George Washington University PA Program, which requires for acceptance:
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA with a completion of a Bachelors Degree.
- Prerequisite courses, which at minimum include two semesters the following; Psychology, Chemistry, and biological Science all of which must be passed with a grade of a B- or higher.
- The Graduate Record Exam that has been taken within the last five years.
- 960 hours of hands on direct patient care experience.
- Applying for acceptance through Central Application for Physician Assistants.
- Completino of the GW Supplemental Application.
- Be in good academic standing with the schools that you have attended.