If you are looking for physician assistant programs in Maryland, it is a very good call as you are taking the first step towards entering a career with both exploding employment opportunity and incredibly high demand as well as has a salary median at $89,990. The physician assistant profession has also been ranked on of the top careers by the likes of CNN, USA News, Money Magazine and more. There is no better time to become a PA, so below are all the physician assistant programs in Maryland as well as the demanded requirements for acceptance, so you can get on top of these requirements and enter into a field that provides a gratifying career as well as excellent pay.
The Accredited Physician Assistant Programs in Maryland
In order to be able to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE), you must have completed a physician assistant program that is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc (ARC-PA). Below are the 3 different accredited physician assistant programs in Maryland along with their admittance requirements, which must be met in ordr to be considered for an interview with the school.
Towson University CCBC – Essex Physician Assistant Program – The first physician assistant program in Maryland awards graduates a Masters of Science Degree and the programs lasts for 26 months. The requirements for this Maryland PA program are:
- A Bachelors Degree.
- A cumulative upper division GPA of 3.0 and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all sciences courses.
- A minimal amount of 400 clinical experience hours, which they prefer their applicants to have at least 800.
- Completion of prerequisite courses, which are passed with a C or better. The courses are; Bilchemistry, Microbiology, Medical Termonology, Anatomy, Physiology and Statistics.
- Submission of your application through Central Application Service for Physician Assistant Assistants.
University of Maryland Eastern Shore Physician Assistant Program – Second on our list of physician assistant programs in Maryland is the PA program at University of Maryland Eastern Shore and awards graduates a Bachelors of Science Degree in Physician Assistant, and requires the following out of their applicants:
- Prerequisite courses that include; Medical Terminology, Psychology, Microbiology, Biology, Sociology, Chemistry, Clinical Chemistry, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Geometry, English Composition, Elementary Statistics.
- A criminal background check.
- Show competency in their technical standards whic are; Communication, Observation, Behavior and Social Attributes, Sensory and Motor Cordination and Function, Intellectual and Conceptual along with Integrative and Quantitative abilities.
Anne Arundel Community college Physician Assistant Program – Last out of the accredited physician assistant schools in Maryland is Anne Arundel Community College PA program, which awards an Associates Degree but are also partnered with St. Francis University in Loretto Pennsylvania where one can complete both their associates as well as their masters through an online portion, which online training starts in the second year of schooling. The requirements for this PA program in Maryland are minimal as it is just for an Associates Degree, but students have to:
- Apply through Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA).