There are currently 2 accredited physician assistant programs in Louisiana, which they have been accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), which is your key to having the “accredited PA course” prerequisite needed to take the Physician Assistant National Certification Exam (PANCE). Once you finish one of the accredited PA programs in Louisana, you will go into the PA profession where the average salary for a physician assistant is over $90,000! Below are all the physician assistant schools in Louisiana as well as the prerequisites required for admission into the program, giving you an idea of what you must fulfill in order to obtain admission.
The Accredited Physician Assistant Programs In Louisiana
Louisiana State University Physician Assistant Program – LSU’s physician assistant program runs for 27 months of full-time studies and is offered at the Shreveport campus. The requirements for this physician assistant program in Louisiana are:
- A Bachelors Degree that was obtained from a university or college that is accredited regionally and/or nationally in which at least a 2.9 cumulative GPA was attained.
- A minimum of 80 hours of hands on patient experience.
- Completion of the Graduation Record Exam (GRE) in which the minimum combined score between both the quantitative and verbal sections needs to be 800.
- Completion of prerequisite courses that include; Medical Terminology (3 Hours), Physiology (3 Hours), Statistics, Chemistry (8 Hours), Anatomy w/ a Lab (4 Hours), junior along with senior level electives in Biology (8 Hours) and Microbiology (4 Hours).
- Show sufficiency in their technical standards, those of which include; Motor Skills, Physical Health, Communication, Intellectual Skills, Behavioral Qualities as well as Sensory Abilities.
- TOEFL tests are mandatory for those whom English is their second language, which the minimum score needed to acceptance is either 500 on the written portion or 213 on the computerized version.
Our Lady Of The Lake Physician Assistant Program – The is the second out of the options for physician assistant programs in Lousiana which has their own set of admission requirements which include:
- A Bachelors Degree that came from an accredited school.
- Official transcripts sent to the OLOL College, Office of Admissions.
- Completion of the Graduation Record Exam in which the individual scored at least their minimum as well as a minimum of a 4.0 on the analytical writing portion.
- 3 letters of recommendation which are suggested to come from the following sources; teacher, a physician assistant and an employer.
- Completion of prerequisite courses in which the individual attained at least a C, which the courses are; Medical Terminology, Human Genetics, Animal Microbiology, General Psychology, Physiology, Anatomy w/ a Lab, Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry 1 and 2 and Animal Microbiology. Which although not required, both Pharmacology as well as Immunology are highly recommended.
- Direct patient experience that comes from a credentialed or non-credentialed role as a volunteer or employee in which the work was either full time or part time.
- Those who are accepted into this PA school in Louisana must have their CPR certification before class starts.
- Those whom English is their second language, they must complete the Test for Spoken English (TSE) and attain a minimum score of 55 along with adhering to the OLOL College English as a Second Language (ESL) policy.
- For those who attained their degree from a school outside of the USA, in order to get into this physician assistant program in Louisiana, they must complete a minimum of a years studies at a school in the US.