When looking for physician assistant programs in Iowa, one must keep in mind that they must find one that is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for Physician Assistants (ARC-PA). This is imperative as a graduation from an accredited ARC-PA colleges or universities is a must have requirements in order to take the Physician Assistant National Certification Exam (PANCE). Below are the accredited programs as well as requirements you must fit in order to be accepted into a PA program in Iowa, where upon graduation you will be entering into the physician assistant field where in Iowa, the median yearly salary ranges anywhere from $75,000 to $100,000 a year or more.
Accredited Physician Assistant Programs In Iowa
Des Moines University Physician Assitant Studies – This Iowa physician assistant program lasts a total of 25 months which upon graduation a Masters of Science in Physician Assistant Studies is awarded. Requirements for admission consist of:
- A bachelors degree that came from an accredited college or university in which a minimum of a 2.8 cumulative GPA was attained.
- Prerequisites classes that also were done at an accredited school, and consist of; 9 semester hours of Psychology which includes Abnormal Psychology, Medical Terminology 6 semester hours of English including both Speech and Composition, either Biostatistics or Statistics, 16 semester hours of Chemistry including a semester in Organic Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry as well a Biochemistry, 16 semester hours of Biology consisting of Physiology and Human Anatomy as well as Genetics and Microbiology.
- Completion of the Graduation Record Exam (GRE).
- Completion of a criminal background check.
- A minimum of 750 hours of “direct patient care experience” either paid or volunteer work, in which you must have shadowed a physician assistant.
- Showing competency in their technical standards which are; communication, observation, sensory, motor, strength and mobility, behavioral and social attributes, visual integration and intellectual, conceptual, integrative and quantitative abilities.
- Proof of a green card for permanent residents.
University of Iowa Physician Assistant Program – First on the list of physician assistant programs in Iowa is the University of Iowa’s PA program which lasts a total of 25 months and awards graduates with a Masters of Physician Assistant Studies. The acceptance requirements for this Iowa PA school include:
- A bachelors degree that comes from a college or university that is accredited by one of the 6 accrediting agencies where the graduate complete their degree with minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Completion of prerequisite courses that include introductory courses in either General Zoology or Animal Biology as well as 3 upper division course in either Zoology or Biology in which one must consist of either Human, Exercise or Animal Physiology. Also required are Principles of Chemistry I & II for lower division, either Biostatistics or General Statistics as well as Intro to General Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry I for upper division.
- At least 1000 hours of direct patient care experience.
- Competency in their technical standards which include skills needed to be able to complete the program successfully.
- Completion of the Graduation Record Exam (GRE) which was taken in the last 10 years.
- For those who have English as their second language, they must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum total score of a 93 as well at least 26 on the speaking section will be required for admittance.