When one completes one of the physician assistant programs in Alabama, they are able to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE) which upon passing the test, they will then apply for licensure through their state to practice, then will be given the title of a PA-C or Physician Assistant – Certified. There is no better time to complete a PA program in Alabama as the demand for the career is exploding as well as the annual income. If you are looking to go down the career path of a PA, the first step that you need to achieve is attaining the requirements that are demanded out of you from PA programs. Below are all the requirement for each physician assistant program in Alabama so you know where to get started!
Physician Assistant Programs In Alabama Requirements
University of South Alabama Physician Assistant Studies – This Alabama PA program runs its course over a full-time schedule that lasts a total of 27 months, and accepts up to 40 students. The requirements for admission are:
- At least a bachelor’s degree that comes from an accredited school which needs to be completed with a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA. If one is applying for early admissions, they need to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA as well as have received a minimum score of 1100 on the Graduation Record Exam (GRE) in both the verbal and quantitative sections.
- For non-early admissions applicants, a score of at leat 1000 is required on the GRE in both the verbal and quantitative sections.
- Completion of prerequisite courses that include one semester in the following courses; human anatomy, general biology, human physiology, organic chemistry, microbiology, college math that is at least algebra, psychology, medical terminology, statistics and both general chemistry 1 & 2. All prerequisite courses need to be completed with a minimum of a C.
- Three reference letters coming from a physician assistant (PA) medical doctor (MD as well as a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO).
- They also state that they give “extra points” for individuals who complete bonuses courses and attain a C grade or better. The bonus courses consist of; genetics, immunology, biochemistry, pathophysiology, pharmacology and physics.
University of Alabama at Birmingham PA Program – Next on the options of physician assistant programs in Alabama is the Univesity of Alabama at Birmingham PA program, which prepares students to become a surgical physician assistant, which is ranked one of the top earning PA specialties. To be accepted into their program, you must have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree that comes from an accredited school which the student got attained a cumulative as well science courses GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Prerequisite courses that must be finished with a 3.0 or better as well as no lower than a C, which the courses include; human anatomy, biology 1 & 2 which they prefer a lab, microbiology, general chemistry, psychology, human physiology and statistics.
- Completion of both an application through Central Application Services for the Physician Assistant (CASPA) by September 1st as well as the UAB SPA Supplemental Application by September 3rd.
- A faculty interview.
- Show competency in their technical standards which are needed to excel in the course which consist of; interpersonal ability, hearing and tactile ability, motor and fine skills, visual ability, computer technology skills, communication skills and critical thinking.
Also taken into consideration for acceptance into this Alabama PA program are:
- Three letters of reference.
- Clinical experience hours which are not required but are suggested.
- The quality of your personal statement.
- Your cumulative GPA total.