Getting To Know The Dermatology Physician Assistant
The physician assistant dermatology profession is an excellent PA specialty to get into as it is shown that dermatology is one of the top 3 highest paid PA specialties, which salaries have been posted at higher than $110,000 per year. The average physician assistant salary itself in 2011 is $89,990 per year but this average is bound to go up if you a dermatology physician assistant as once you become specialized your demand is higher which brings the possibility of salary negotiation. It doesn’t hurt that the job outlook is magnificent for the PA career.
Steps To Becoming A Dermatology Physician Assistant
In order to start practicing as a physician assistant in dermatology, your must follow the steps below
- Enroll in a physician assistant program that is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission of Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), which there are currently 159 accredited programs throughout the. These programs offer bachelors and masters degrees, but in order to make your chances for getting employed as high as possible, it is highly suggested that you complete a PA program offering a masters. These programs will have various acceptance requirements that range from; a bachelors degree from an accredited school, prerequisite courses, official Graduation Record Examination (GRE) scores, a background and drug test, immunizations, clinical experience, among others.
- Pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE) which consists of 600 questions.
- Apply for licensure through the state that you live in.
- Being that it may be tough to secure a physician assistant dermatology job right out of a PA program, completing a dermatology residency can better your odds in landing a dermatology PA job a lot faster.
Dermatology Physician Assistant Job Description
Aftery complete the above requirements, you will be a PA-C or Physician Assistant – Certified which will allow you to practice anywhere in your state. As far as the dermatology PA job duties go, the following duties are a main overview of the daily job schedule:
- Order different tests for diagnostic purposes such as; x rays, lab tests, electrocardiograms, CT scans among others.
- Perform patient examinations to gather information about what condition the patient is in physically.
- Place orders for different medical supplies and equipment.
- Forming different plans for treating patients which consists of dianosing diseases as well as deciding which care plans are best suited.
- Prescribe medication to patients under the supervision of a physician. (Although a small number of states still prohibit PA’s from being able to prescribe medicine). This also includes prescribing therapy as well as referrals.
- Overseeing and coordinating duties of technical assistants.
- Gathering diffent information on a patient like; past medical history, results of tests as well as noting signs of progress of lack there of.
- Assisting physicians during times of surgery.
- Advise patients on aspects like; maintaining their health, what to expect as far as normal development and growth, emotional challenges that come with daily life as well as therapy routines.
- Checking in on patients during patient rounds and relaying any changes in health statuses to the physician.
- Providing patients with injections as well as certain shots and immunizations, along with wound care is also a main physician assistant dermatology job duty.